27 April, 2009

Sad Sunday

Every night I have dreams revolving around work. When you have almost nothing to do at the office during the day, then fall asleep at night dreaming of the importance of nothingness...it gets taxing.

It reminds me of when, during my freshman year at NYU, I had a work study with the Morse Academic Plan. This was a new program designed for incoming freshman at the College of Arts and Sciences. Every student had to pick classes from a core curriculum; NYU's version of Liberal Arts education. A small part of my job was ordering teacher copies of books through publishers and distributors. A large part of my job was photocopying class schedules, curriculums (curriculi? finiculi finicula finiculi finucula....). I would often stand at a copy machine for 3-4 hours a shift. At night, I would dream I was standing at a photocopy machine. Tedium begets tedium.

Taking a break from working in our own garden, the Loved One and I ventured out to the Brooklyn Botanical Garden on Sunday. The weather was perfect and the grounds were lovely. The experience was ruined though by the sight of EMT's furiously working on a young person that had passed out near the cafe. Security were keeping the perimeter clear around the kid and I could see an EMT worker administering CPR; another had an oxygen tank at the ready. The Loved One had to walk away. I scanned the crowd and there was no sight of parents around. Onlookers mostly tried NOT to look.

We went into the conservatory to look at the Bonsai trees but I could still see the scene taking place. I couldn't see the kid, only the soles of black sneakers. From this view, I could see the EMT worker massaging the kid's heart.

We moved on from Bonsais and into another room. I was distracted. I wanted to know what was going on. When we finally left the conservatory we had to walk around the scene where the action had just taken place. At some point they had managed to move the kid and the only sign of the event was a pile of medical paraphernalia or, rather, the packaging it comes in. We walked past two park officers and I heard one say, It doesn't look very good for her, man. Does it?

My heart sank.

I had a dream involving water this weekend. No, I didn't pee the bed. But whenever I do it often portends big changes in my life. Fingers crossed.

And I'm obsessed with the story of the Craig's List Killer.

No comments: