14 April, 2009

Fleet of Hope

Was finally able to write another scene in the play today.
I guess that means something's been accomplished.

The walls are closing in on me here.
Keep listening to the new Indigo Girls cd:

"The fleet of hope is so pretty
As she's shining in the port
And the harbor clings to the jetty
For protection and support.
Out in the choppier water
The sharks swim and play.
You're all washed up as Poseidon has his day."

I see the fleet of hope and it scares me.

Speaking of the Indigo Girls, tomorrow night I'm going to see them at the Highline; me, Present Ex, and two friends.

When Present Ex and I broke up the first time, I had tickets to see IG at the Beacon. I also had tickets to Bette Midler at Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City. Both concerts were around my birthday. Present Ex and I were living together in the 95th Street Apartment. I asked if he wanted to attend either or both with me. Bette Midler would also include my parents, on my actual birthday. Present Ex said yes, even though he wasn't too familiar with IG.

That night, he was converted. While on cd the IG can appear to be low key and folksy, in person they can really rock.

Who would have thought that a few years later Present Ex would be coloring the hair of an IG and I'd be one degree of separation from them. When they come to town, they often supply Present Ex with comps. Once, in New Jersey, we even got to go backstage after a show and meet them. I was so nervous. Unfortunately, Emily -- who sings all the sorrow in my soul -- didn't come out. So while it was cool to meet Amy Ray, I didn't meet the particular woman whose songs had gotten me through so many hard times.

And I was ok with that. Sometimes it's best to keep your heroes at a distance.

I'm unfocused now. People keep telling me not to give up. That something is going to happen. But how do they know? How can they be so sure? And if so, when? I can't wait much longer.

No comments: