05 January, 2009

New Year/New You

New who?  New me.
Well, it's not quite that simple.

I haven't been writing much lately because I haven't been working and that's really the ideal place for me to write.  I find when I'm home I'm so busy doing things I enjoy that the need to write isn't quite so strong.  I should probably find that problematic.  However, truth to tell, there are a thousand things for me to accomplish on a daily basis around the house and pretty much nothing to accomplish at work.  Which, yes, is totally frustrating.

The holidays are officially over and we had a swell New Year's Eve party with lots of friends and even more booze.

On Friday night Jan. 2nd, after therapy (and that was fun after almost 2 weeks away, let me tell you) The Loved One and I went to see Liza's at the Palace.  This trip was two-fold: one, The Loved One asked and two: my friend, Jim Caruso, was in it.  I know Jim from year's ago.  I was working on Cabaret as the Associate Director and he was good friends with Joely Fisher who I had put into the show on tour.  Jim, Fish and I used to hang out and cause trouble quite a bit.  And now here he was making his Bway debut!  He is an old friend of Liza's and runs a weekly show here in NYC called JIm Caruso's Cast Party, to which -admittedly - I have never been.  But I'd go see him on Bway!

I saw Liza's last show at the Palace a few years ago, Minnelli on Minnelli.  It was...fine.  Liza wasn't in the greatest shape and the choreography mostly consisted of chorus boys rolling her around on a wheeled-chair most of the time.  The stories were fun but the songs, dancing and patter were lackluster.  So I wasn't chomping at the bit to see her again.

Things started out very badly.  In an effort to preserve funds in this, our great depression, I purchased cheap seats on-line.  Cheap being the last row of the mezzanine and still too expensive.  Between the balcony overhang and the rustling of patrons and the talking of ushers directly behind us, we could hardly hear the show.  Poor Loved One had some tall guy stationed in front of him, leaning forward, with his arms perched on his knees the better to hold his opera glasses with.  Annoying.  During the first act, Liza looked amazing but we had a hard time hearing her, especially during any uptempo number.  The director in me was wishing for a through-line in regards to the storytelling.  But there wasn't one.  It seemed like, "I wanna sing this song here..."  So she did.  A funny moment occurred when she said to the audience, "Remember how I used to sit in the second act?"  People laughed.  She walked stage left to the proscenium and pulled out a director's chair, "Well now I sit here."  She sat and gave us a lovely rendition of "Maybe This Time" from Cabaret.  It was the first point in the evening where I understood every word and she sounded incredible.  The second time was the act closing: "Cabaret."

The lights came up.  I was unimpressed.  And where in the hell was Jim?  The lady next to me turned and said, "Hello, stranger.  I don't know you but can you tell me why that last number was the first I understood?"  I shrugged my shoulders helplessly.  Then I turned to The Loved One and said, "Let's move down some," as there were empty seats scattered around the sides of the mezz.  So we did.

The second act started and it was a totally different show!  Liza opened with "And the World Goes Round" making me think she is perhaps the premier interpreter of Kander and Ebb.  And then she got to the meat of the show, a reinterpretation of her godmother's, Kay Thompson, act.  And there, finally, was Jim!

Our seats were now in the seventh row of the mezz.  Liza was closer.  The sound was better.  There was no fidgeting among audience members, no opera glass users, no obstructions.  And Liza looked and sounded amazing!  It was a completely different show.  Also, Liza seemed to be having more fun.  In essence, the problem with the first act is there is no focus.  The second act springs to life because there's a story to tell and people to help Liza tell it.  It made me wish the first act was about her career or the songs that influenced her growing up or something...

We left elated and it was well worth the discounted ticket price.  And now, along with nine other shows, Liza closed yesterday.  More to go as the month goes on.  I keep wondering how my job is not at risk.  And if it is, the sooner let go, the better.

Saturday we saw Revolutionary Road.  I was expecting a movie as painful and devastating as Bergman's Scenes From a Marriage but it wasn't quite there.  DiCaprio surprised me.  Winslet is always amazing to watch but I was unsure of what she was doing at times here.  Mendes did a nice job and I wonder what his obsession with American suburbia is about.

I did my best to stay off the island during my time off from work and only came in on Friday for therapy and Liza.  Being back today is not a welcome experience.  I miss the warmth and safety of our little, cottage-like abode and the dog sitting next to me on the couch as we while away the hours in cooking, cleaning, reading, movies, whatever.

No comments: